I love ranch dressing... we established that already... but the longer I have been Paleo the less I have used the creamy dressings and other condiments in my day to day life. I still love salad dressings though and a quick vinaigrette is always tasty. This recipe is easily changed to highlight different flavors by exchanging vinegars, oils or herbs but this is a basic Italian inspired version. It isn't completely necessary to use the immersion blender but I really enjoy the slightly emulsified version that results when an immersion blender is used instead of just shaking it up. The longer the dressing sits the stronger the flavors will get. This means that if you don't really like garlic or another spice lessen it at the beginning and don't over-do spices as you experiment with new flavors.
1. Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Use immersion/stick blender to combine the ingredients. Mix for about a minute.
3. Pour into airtight containers.
*You might have to shake the bottle before using it again to recombine as it can settle.
What kind of vinaigrette dressings do you use in your home?
There are some things I miss more than others with this new way of eating... one of those things is a good ranch dressing on a spinach and mixed greens salad. I tried for months to find a recipe I enjoyed but never found one that was exactly what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, a quick google search of "Paleo Ranch dressing" will net you several good recipes for ranch but I enjoy quite a bit of dill and a nice bit of garlic in my ranch dressings and none quite hit the spot. This one started out as a combination of several of those googled recipes actually but my ex-husband really likes spicy food and I was working to not only feed myself healthy food but find things that he enjoyed eating as well... so this buffalo ranch recipe was born. It was just spicy enough that he didn't care that it was 'healthy' and made his salads a bit more palatable so we were both eating better. Now its just me around the house so I don't make it as often as I used to but I have taken this dressing to pot lucks where no one but myself was eating Paleo and everyone had rave reviews.
1. Arrange your ingredients and tools. I was cooking several things the day I made this recipe and apparently I decided that I should put extra spices in the picture... sorry about that!
2. Mix the mayo and coconut milk together in a bowl.
3. Add the spices and mix well.
4. Slowly add in the Buffalo Sauce. I put this in last so that I can add more to taste as sometimes I am really craving something spicy. In that case I want more buffalo sauce so I taste as I go to make sure to get the perfect blend of what my taste buds are craving.
NOTE: If you use canned coconut milk the dressing will turn out slightly sweet compared to the refrigerated kind. For this reason I typically use the refrigerated, unsweetened unflavored coconut milk. Today I was out so I turned to my pantry as I always have a jar or two in my pantry staples.
5. Pour the dressing into jars with airtight seals and refrigerate.
If you lacto-ferment it then it will last about 2 weeks in the fridge. If you do not then it tends to last about a week. It is also really easy to scale up or down this recipe depending on how much you wish to make.
What is your favorite Paleo-friendly dressing?